Sunday 18 September 2016

Somerset Open Studios 2016

For the past year my stitching home has been the Red Brick Building in Glastonbury.  This amazing industrial building was previously part of the Morland complex and was saved from demolition in 2009.  After much energy and hard work by many, today the Red Brick is home to numerous artists, makers and small businesses.  Stitching in the Artisan space alongside costumiers and artists has been an invaluable experience that I've been very fortunate to have come my way.


I agreed to take part in Somerset Open Studios 2016 back in the depths of winter. At the time it seemed a very long way off, however, like all these things it came round with surprising speed.  My hard working scissors, thimble and snippers have seen intense action these past few months.  As of course has my Bernina sewing machine, with an aim to stitch a new collection of Somerset themed postcards.


The theme of 'home' for this new collection took very little thinking, as it is a word that describes much about me.  Somerset has always given me a huge sense of place and so I set about selecting seven locations where for various reasons I feel a particular sense of home.  It was interesting how the process of stitching brought much new detail on each of these locations to my attention, even  those I know well.  'Seeing' through new eyes will ever be one of the great pleasures of stitching images.  This collection of stitched postcards will be on view for Somerset Arts Weeks in the Red Brick Building in the Artisan Space on the 1st floor.


This is my last two weeks in this studio space before moving on a my new studio at Spring Farm Moorlinch.  I warmly thank the Red Brick Building for providing me with a stitching home this past year and I wish them success with fund raising to complete their renovation work and to continue as a creative venue in Somerset with Heart.





No comments:

Post a Comment